Name of Seminary where you graduated from: Immaculate Conception Seminary
Date of ordination: June 28, 2003
Parish assignment: St. Catherine of Sienna Parish, Rhode Island
Date of birth: May 8th, 1968
1. How did you feel when you were ordained? It was the most special day of my entire life. Overjoyed & overwhelmed about finally being ordained a priest.
2. What would you consider to be the most important task of a priest? To go out and mix with those who think that they do not need God, because they need God most of all. To offer them the forgiveness and love of God.
3. Who is the most influential person in your life? My parents & Patrick & Nancy Latta of Medjugorje.
4. What is your favorite scripture passage? Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you, yet do it with gentleness and reverence – 1Peter 15.
5. What do you do during your free time? Spend my time outdoors and gardening.
6. What is your favorite movie? Jesus of Nazareth .
7. How important is a parent's role in the life of a priest? Extremely important. A priest needs the support and prayers of his family to persevere.
8. What is your favorite music? Jazz.
9. What is your advice for parents on promoting religious vocation among the youth? Be open-minded and do not discourage them from the life if they feel called to it. Be good, holy examples of the Christian faith. Pray together as a family.
10. What makes you smile? Partaking in the fullness of God’s love and sharing it with others.
Below are the words of Fr. Sousa posted on his father's blog, In God's Company Too. It was these words that prompted me to consider adopting him as my spiritual son. I already have a spiritual son, a priest in my own diocese, but the words of Fr. Sousa drew me to the call of praying for him daily...
Have you ever considered adopting a Priest in prayer. Ask Mary to assign me to you. Love me like a brother in Christ. Pray for me daily. Become a saint so that I may become one. Pray that Mary be a tender Mother to me and find me good friends in Christ. Thank you for your prayers. May the Lord bless you and keep you and may his face shine upon you all the days of your life. May the Holy Spirit descend upon you and your family and all your loved ones.
Happy Father's Day, Fr. Sousa! God bless you abundantly!